Sunday 25 February 2007

w/c 19th February - an easier week, a sting in the tail

The last 2 weeks have been tiring. Whilst it is satisfying to know I'm getting stronger, I feel a nagging need to be able to demonstrate this. Running tired means I'm off the pace when training with my peers, which is part of the deal I know but it doesn't stop me from being frustrated.

The only answer of course is to back of a little before picking up the training again. Such backing off has therefore been the feature of this past week and it has paid dividends both physically and mentally....

Mon - My 34th birthday. Chilled out with Alison, and very enjoyable it was too. Almost got through the day guilt free but had a slight tinge of 'rest days are for wusses'-itis late on.

Tues - Speed session at club. 4 * 400m, 2 * 800m, 4 * 400m. Despite still having heavy legs from the previous couple of weeks, I ran like a train! I was at the head of the group and stayed there, pulling away a bit more towards the end. This was great, the first good run I felt I'd had for a while. Rest days - they do work you know!

Weds - 4M easy - lunchtime at work. Cantered around 4M loop at work.

Thurs - Physio session - Sarah marvelled yet again at my inflexibility and pummelled my calves, quads, hams and glutes into submission. There were a few knots to get rid of but got a clean bill of health! I think 4-6 weekly sessions will help prevent injury.

Fri - More rest!? What are you, some kind of big girl?! Saving myself for Saturday.

Sat - Welsh 3000'ers - well two thirds of them! 21 miles and @7500' ascent. Paul Miller, Pete Taylor and I got up very early and travelled to Penypass intent on doing the Welsh 3000ers. We got up onto Snowdon via the Pyg Track by about 9.30 and set off towards Carnedd Ugain and Crib Goch. Apart from a "Taylor diversio(tm)", i.e. more rocky and scrambly than necessary(!), we got to and came off Crib Goch in wet but improving weather. By the time we'd run to Elidir Fawr the clag had come down. From there on in, the rain inched slowly from showery bursts to a persistant pour. We picked our way over the Glyders and, faced with driving rain across Tryfan, decided to run to Capel Curig to along the old road. The carneddau will have to wait.

I had mixed feelings about this at the time - one part of me wanted to train myself to carry on regardless, and i would have been happy to do that. But there were two others there and Paul in particular was not keen abouty proceeding further. This made the decision very straightforward, but there was not too much dissapointment from me at the time! The good thing is, I felt strong at the end, like i could have easily gone on. The legs were a little heavy but not sore, no pain and my mind was not dulled to the prospect of more rain and effort.

Had a night in Helyg with Pete, Paul and Jen (who very kindly picked us up from Capel and prepared some good food for us) and sunk a few well deserved ales that night in Capel...

Sun -Rest, after mighty breakfast in Pete's Eats. Came home and chilled with Alison - including a visit to the cinema and sorting out of housey stuff. Feel quite satisfied and ready for a bigger week, including two hard days next weekend...

Time to reflect on some lessons from yesterday.
a) Take waterproof gloves. They are bulky but worth it - my hands were painfully cold with windstoppers on which are useless when wet.
b) Eat on the climbs - and don;t eat with too much urgency as you'll not be able to swallow the food - you'll just chew it for ages!
c) Remember savory and salty foods. Sugary energy food is fine for an energy boost, but a sandwich of tuna and loads of mayo to make it mushy is good on the big climbs.
d) Don't cram the whole day in your head. I was relaxed (and therefore moving efficiently) when thinking about the next summit, but tense when thinking about the whole day. Just tackle it a bit at a time.
e) Wear sealskinz socks for the boggy bits. Cold and numb feet makes for potential ankle twisting territory.

Given the lessons from yesterday, I now think it was a success, not a failure.

Week total - 32 miles and 7500' ascent - easy week

No comments: