Monday 21 May 2007

w/c 14th May - Turned out nice again

I'm starting to think that I'm being dealt a favourable hand fate-wise when it comes to this BGR nonsense. This statement may come back to bite me, but a few things have happened this week that should really help with my BGR despite my best attempts to bugger things up. As well as a couple of strokes of luck, the training continues to go well too.

All is well with six weeks to go.

I had planned to go up to the Lakes this weekend and do legs 5,1 and 2 overnight and into the morning. The idea was to try out leg one at night. This felt more and more like the wrong thing to do as the week progressed. For one, it would mean another weekend where I lose a night's sleep, which given how rough I felt until Weds (after the Fellsman) was probably not good for my training. Also, 3 club members have each tried to talk me into starting at 6 or 7pm and doing leg 2 in the dark. This made me even more lukewarm about going up to do leg 1 overnight. Also, i had a really busy week and was tired on friday after the running club awards evening. I spent friday off work doing the presentation for that which was nerveracking and stressful - hardly good prep for 3 legs of the BGR. My plan began to feel wronger and wronger and wronger...

So as i prepared to leave on saturday, i logged onto the PC to download some stuff to the GPS. Whilst i was there, i have a peek at the FRA to find a private message there. Turns out a rather nice chap called Simon from London is doing his BGR next weekend and wanted some help - so he sent me a note having read this here blog. He's starting at 7pm on Saturday 26th and doing leg 2 at night. I replied to offer help and now i'll be pacing him on legs 2 and 3.

This solves loads of problems for me:

- I get to experience being part of a BGR round before doing mine - something i did want to try and do

- I avoid 2 weekends in a row with a missed night's sleep (although it still means 2 from 3, but that's OK)

- I get to try leg 2 and the first pt of leg 3 in the dark and can make a decision (poss a revision) about my start time

- I get big day's training in, and one that includes leg 3 (which is hard to recce on your own as it's so hard to get back to your car)

- Simon's road crew can heat stuff up, so i can practice roadside food for my round

- I get to try out the new GPS and data points (cheers Paul!) on the BGR

- Next week will be less tiring with less other stuff to do so is better suited to precede a hard weekend.

Having now spoken to simon and agreed to pace him and carry his gear for 2 legs, i'm excited about the prospect! The more i think about my original plan, the more i am convinced that fate dealt me a good hand this week.

I'm glad that the awards evening, the Borders League results and a genrally busy time for other things is starting to subside - i feel now i can really concentrate on the final and very important 6 weeks of training.

I'm actually pleased with the training i got done this week, esp as i had so much else to do and esp as i was so tired.

Monday - rest, sleepy after Fellsman
Tuesday - rest, still knackered
Weds - 1200'/4M - straight up and down Moel Famau. Calves tight (wore red innov8s - probably needed more cushioning). Felt OK apart from calves.
Thurs - club session, @7M and @1000'. Nick's session on CLosed XC and Maiden Castle route - some good hill reps where i was strong but tired. Started near the back on the long steep reps and finished at the front showing good hill strength. Just about hung on for teh short sharp reps, with Andrew and Rob with me all the way.
Fri - Rest - awards night
Sat - 7M, 2300' - Brisk Moel Famau and Llangynhafal run from Cilcain - same route as with Pete lest week, 2 mins slower but still brisk.
Sun - 17M, 6500' - glorious run in the Carneddau. Started at Aber then Moel Wnion, Drosgl, Bera Bach, steep down and up to Yr Elen (did that 1650' climb in 16 mins and not flat out - very pleased), Carnedd Llewellyn, Dafydd, Back to Llewellyn then North over Foel Grach, Ugain, Foel Fras, Drum and Y Orsedd before dropping into Aber. THe weather was great, the conditions were wonderful.

The only hitch was a freak fellrunning injury, which is fine now... I was descending a rocky path at great speed when i landed on a upturned, pointy and jaggedy stone. It felt like it had come through my studs - it was agonising. I tried to run on it for a bit but it was nothing better than a hobble. I could then feel somethig swelling on the underside of my foot - gutted! I was about 2/3 into the run and was worried i wouldn't be able to continue. It seemed so pathetic ("I banged my foot" is a feeble way of describing how you got injured). LUckily, i had some ibuprofen that was left in my KIMMsac pocket from last week. Even more luckily, i had found a full and sealed bottle of water half an hour before on Bera Bach (i had finished the stuff i brought) and so took the pruffen and crossed everything. Half an hour later i was fine and running well again. It's still a bit tender tho. I had a look at my beloved swoops and noticed that the sole was now about 1mm thick - all this traiing has almost worn them through! Time for some new shoes - hurrah!

I used the route function on the GPS for the first time on Sunday (with Paul's data) which was great. To think that i can pick a few checkpoints on the map at home, tell the GPS and it navigates me round... It is amazing and great practice for the BGR (i'll use GPS as a back up in bad weather).

Stangely - had two tunes in my head all day and we're talking about the sublime to the ridiculous here. On the steep climbs "Put your hands up for Detroit" made an unwelcome return, but for the descents and ridge-runs, "Border Song" by Elton John popped in there even though i've not heard it for years.

Next week should see a 20,000' + week, the start of a three week peak in the training before a much needed taper. All in all though, the week was better than i planned and i feel well on course for a successful outing.

I also feel like i'm getting the breaks, at least at the moment. It might be luck or it might be natural justice (perhaps they're the same thing). To blatantly steal Mike Cudahy's line, it might be that the hills do indeed reward the patient traveller... (thanks for the quote Cath!).

Summary - 35 miles, 11,100' ascent

No comments: