Monday 19 February 2007

w/c 12th feb - Getting stronger, getting tired

This week I've started to feel tired. The last two weeks have seen me run fast and free with the benefit of the recent training kicking in. Now, I'm going through that tired phase that I recognise from marathon training - the February malaise! The dark nights, the feeling of winter dragging and the not-quite-imminence of spring combined with lots of running on top of lots of running before lead to something of a 'wall'.
It's showing in my running, but the endurance seems to be coming along well - i.e. I'm knackered at the start but am not more knackered when I've finished! A good sign? A glimmer of hope? Probably...
Also finding it hard to concentrate at work - a combination of some dissapointing developments at work, tiredness and pre-occupation from training and some issues at home (not least getting the place decorated!). Am typing this at work when I should be working in fact! It's hardly what I would call a tough time, esp after such a fantastic weekend away in the Lakes with the runners, but it's a slightly tougher patch which i know will subside.

Last week's training was good, but lacked some quality...

Mon - 3M easy on road. Heavy legged after big run on MF the day before.
Tues - 9.5m steady at club. Hilly route (Brown Knoll) and pushed it on one effort - which saw me run strongly up the hill (but was goosed afterwards!).
Weds - 7M - trail run with A on Maiden Castle, Harthill and Raw Head - about 1000' climbing. Lovely and sunny, but tired.
Thurs - 9M - 12 killer hill reps to the grit bin plus a run up Harthill. I was really slow although didn't feel like I couldn't run, just that I couldn't run fast. 1000' ascent? Got round OK.
Fri - Rest - was actually planning to go for a fell run, which would have finished me off!
Sat - 14M, 3500' - walk from hut with Running Club to Clough Head and the Dodds. Wonderful day, easy paced and nice to re-recce that section. Great weather.
Sun - 11M, 4600' - 4hr 15min fell run with Steve, Pete, Nick and Sarah. Was feeling rough at start, too much food! I now know I cannot run with sausage bacon and eggs in me! Felt bad for an hour - stomach and head pounding, plus legs were still tired. Got better and lovely weather meant that BGR recce from High Raise to Bowfell was useful and enjoyable. Feel like I need some physio and an easier week! Good sign is that even when feeling ill and rough, I could move at a reasonable pace!!

Week total, 54M and 10000' ascent.

No comments: