Monday 28 May 2007

w/c 21st May - Experience changes everything

I mused last week about fate dealing me a good hand during my BGR preparation. This does not however mean that fate provides an easy ride as some lessons are hard learned.

This week's undisputed highlight was supporting what turned out to be a successful BGR attempt. It was a superb experience, and the single most useful outing throughout all of my preparations. For a BGR aspirant, it was a very 'complete' experience; I learned so much, I recced some more and I got in an excellent long training run.

I'm now left feeling a little uneasy though and my faith that I can actually do this has now been tested. I had been getting increasingly confident over the last few weeks with people telling me I could "get round tomorrow". Some had suggested i move the round to get it in before i got injured. Such faith was flattering, but I knew deep down i needed more time. This run confirms this.

Dave and I ran leg 2 at night and leg 3 during the early morning with Simon. Our job was to carry his stuff, feed and water him and go the right way. If we could do this to schedule without overworking him, so much the better. I was confident that we could do this, armed with a GPS repleat with BGR waypoints and some good training in the bank. We shouldered his load and ours and off we went. I immediately felt tired, within 20 mins. My legs were heavy from the 6000' i'd already done this week, esp the tough speed session I'd done 2 days before. Now I knew that I'm not a great starter so just kept on. I did feel better and moved well across the Dodds. Simon dictated the pace which after a fast climb of Clough Head was either on orjust outside 23.5 hr pace. That usually feels very easy for me, but this time it felt a little laboured. We were greeted with 2 inches of snow on Helvellyn (in late May!) and took it in our strides on a cool and clear yet drizzly night. We lost time on Fairfield (via Cofa Pike ridge, not sure i like that - more climbing and trickier in the dark to find the trod that the out and back route i've used) and decended into Dunmail and was surprised to hear one of Simon's road crew tell him that we'd made 9 mins up on that section (they'd lost a little time on leg 1). It felt like we'd lost time. I had my rice pudding, took on more food and fluid and Dave and I stuffed Simon's gear into our sacks. I felt OK, but expected to feel stronger. At least the morning greeted us clear and bright, albeit drizzly.

The first chunk of leg 3, from Dunmail to High Raise, is fairly uninspiring, and noone likes that climb on Steel Fell. 1000' straight up with food bulging in your belly. I had a badish patch, but was happy moving at Simon's pace. I was worried that we were holding him back, so i kept walking ahead of him to test that pace he wanted to move at. He would stay metronomic rather than catch up. This was all fine, but it was slightly under schedule. We lost time between Calf Crag and High Raise simply by not moving quite fast enough. I always hoped that BGR pace for 23.5 hrs would feel easy at this stage but it still felt laboured. We plodded on with me feeling OK but no better. We lost more time to Rossett PIke, but tried out a new line below Stake Pass which was an improvement which i'll adopt (nick!).

Things picked up on Bowfell. I like it there and that section of the round to Wasdale is demanding, yet interesting and grand (in good weather). The visability was OK apart from a pach of mist on Great End (Simon's route off there was excellent - must nick that too). Simon decided to use Foxes Tarn which adds 10 mins+ to the scheduled times but it is an enjoyable section. I felt better and better and was almost disapointed to find myself descending to Wasdale to finish after 11.5 hours of running. We'd lost 20 mins on that section and and Simon was about 40 down.

He seemed happy with our support (he had none for leg 3 planned), but part of me felt that he would have benefitted from a me that was less tired when we started out. Simon really pulled it out of the bag for leg 4, with a fresh pacer that seemed to know him well who pushed him. I sensed, possibly wrongly, that Simon's pacer for the next legs was unhappy with the time of our arrival and therefore the support we provided. Perhaps he has a point, but we did as Simon asked and prayed it was enough. Simon put in a great performance and I was delighted to hear he made it round in 23.11.

So, how did it go for me? I felt BGR pace to be harder that it usually is for me. I've been flying recently and needed to be bought down to earth. I'm not panicing though as I think there are a few reasons for what i felt was a lacklustre performance (and some lessons too):

- I was tired to start with. On Monday i'd done a 2500' ascent run on Moel Famau at a brisk pace, with 3000' of tough ascent on the railway climbs on Tuesday (9 reps in 1:05). I rested Weds and did a flat speed session on Thursday with the club and ran v hard. With 11,000' in the bank from the week before and the 61 mile Fellsman the week before that I had a right to be tired. Lesson: taper. Simon told me of his 3 week taper which sounds good and something i'll adopt. I'll get a massage too.

- Carrying gear. Of course, i usually run light and have done BGR legs at 21 hour pace without a worry. 2 litres of fluid and various other bits add up and slow you down. Lesson: carry nothing, use your support well.

- Not contolling the pace - mind and body are as one which means if you are not choosing the pace, it's a constant adjustment. This is mentally and therefore physically tiring. Simon quite rightly dictated the pace and clearly knew what he was doing. I didn't know him or his plans well enough to suggst that the pace should ever change. Lesson: Be in control of the pace as much as you can early on and don't be lulled into something by a fresher, fitter pacer. Help yourself and your pacers by sharing your pace plans and work together in delivering them.

There were positives too:

- I was out for 11 hours+, did 31 miles and @13,000 ascent and felt OK at the end. As i type this, my legs are a bit heavy but not at all sore (is DOMS in the post in wonder?).

- I ate and drank well enough, esp on the climbs. It's a good discipline and with pacers to help me, one i'm sure i'll get right on the day. Sports bars, marzipan and fruitcake were all good, as was nibbling those energy tablets at each summit. Should have drank a little more though.

- GPS was good and I've marked some more important points.

- Night leg was excellent and this is very significant. I'm so glad to have go one under my belt as this was a really daunting aspect of the BGR for me. This experience has convinced me to move my start time. Leg 2 in the dark is OK, esp with a GPS to help. I would like it to still be light when coming off Hall's Fell so will start at 7pm on the Friday night. I will tell my support asap (after writing this!) and hope to God they can still help me out. Some will be pleased as the pubs will be open when i get round...

- I learned that you can pull it back from Wasdale. I;d always thought that you needed to be up at Wasdale to allow for a slowing of pace on leg 4. Simon has shown me not to let the demons set in at Wasdale if i'm not where i would like to be for whatever reason. This will help mentally.

In summary, I feel now that all is left for me to do is to do one more big weekend of training and to fine tune everything else. I will speak to my support about the changes, seek some advice on my plans from closer quarters such as from the lines of Simon Ellis and Ian Lancaster and iron out some details regarding the route.

Next weekend i'm going to go up to the lakes and focus on leg 4 plus various bit of the rest of the round that I want to practice. It's all coming together now.

Week summary

Mon - MF direct from Cilcain and again from the Gully - 7M, 2300'
Tues - 9 railway reps, 1hr 5mins. 4M, 3000'
Weds - rest
Thurs - 7M, 200'? Speedwork on flat. Ran well but it hurt!
Fri - rest
Sat/Sun - Legs 2 and 3 of BGR - 31M, @13000' ascent. 11hrs 10 mins.

@50 miles, 19,000' ascent

No comments: