Sunday 17 June 2007

w/c 11th June - Less training, more thinking

I've been warned about the tricks your mind and body can play when you're tapering instead of training.

Perhaps anticipating this, a kind reader of this blog contacted me out of the blue and advised me to stay positive and keep my head clear of doubts. What good advice, because I'm finding that it only takes a few days of non or reduced training and a fresh appreciation of the size of the goal ahead to allow some negative thoughts to gain some purchase.

A good run, or indeed any run that delivers a payload of endorphins is usually enough to present the view of my forthcoming BGR as having an optimistic, exciting and adventurous tint to it. The BGR is something to look forward to at moments like that. Running off Moel Famau at speed or nearing the top of a big climb in Snowdonia whilst still feeling strong provides a feeling you hope is replicated several times over during the BGR itself. You just can't wait.

Cut or reduce the supply of moments like that and it's easy for the mind to try and overprotect. Your subconscious gambles that dissapointment is easier to bear than physical brakdown and starts presenting things to be afraid of so that perhaps you won't go through with it. Suddenly, you're dreading it. The only cure is a run, but you're tapering remember?

This week has been about cutting down the milage and staying sane. It's about staying positive and keeping the faith. It's at times like this that you need support from others. You need to know that there is faith in you out there. Fortunately, I'm blessed with knowing people who can provide that in spades.

So many people are sure that all i need is a fair wind (or at the least, not a constant foul one) and i'll get round. They remind me of the training i've done, how well i'm climbing, how much weight i seem to have lost, how well i seem to have prepared etc. I've drawn upon that this week and remain confident.

I'm grateful, but am feeling both gratitude and fear in substantial measures. I'm content that i'm more determined to succeed that i am scared of failing, but the prospect of failure is still appalling. So many friends are putting themselves out, as well as some people i've never met or hardly know. Falure will see a loss of face amongst my friends and the wider fellrunning community - have I talked my chances up too much?

Such thinking is distracting and useless and diverts from the fact tapering is in itself a facet of the training. I;ve run just three times this week, and felt good on all three occasions, especially on the climbs.

I'm ready, save some finishing touches. Two more runs and less than 3 hours running lie between now and by BGR in less than 2 weeks time.

Can't wait!

Week summary

Mon - rest
Tues - 6M, inc 3 railways - felt good. 1300'
Weds - 9M, Moel y Gamelin loop course - 3100'
Thurs - Club run, TT route. Flew up the railway! @800' Strong run all round. 7M
Fri, Sat, Sun - resting and eating, lots of eating!

Total - @5000', 23 miles

2 comments:

ALAN LUCKER said...

I know exactly what you meen. The threat of a cold and a potential niggle of an old hip injury. Are my thoughts as I worry my way towards my atempt on Saturday 23rd June. Good luck for your atempt next week, hope you get better weather. Cheers Alan.

ALAN LUCKER said...

I agree. My worries, in the lead up to my atempt on Saturday 23rd June, have been mainly of a threat of a cold and an old niggling hip injury. But neither will stop me. They would just make it more uncumfortable. The thought of the task is daunting but I am confident.
Good luck on your atempt next week. Hope you get better weather.
Cheers Alan.