Monday 23 April 2007

w/c 16th April - 10 weeks to go, the calm before the storm...

Arrrrgh, arrrrgh, don't panic, don't panic - 10 weeks to go - that's 70 days. That's 70 days to become a finely tuned, prepared, fit, clued up, cool, calm and collected BGR'er.

Thing is, the BGR has seemed 'ages away' for, well, ages. Now, without exactly being round the corner, it's appreciably close to happening for me to start sorting out some practicalities as well as simply getting fit. I must re-contact my supporters and confirm arrangements this week. I must also ensure Paul's support is factored in. Time to get communicating.

It's also time to step up the training. The next few weeks are going to be tough.

A real mark of progress is that 10,000' a week is not leaving me with aching limbs and an all consuming tiredness. Looking back at this blog and my training log, that's a hell of a statement and shows that i've come a long way.

Touch wood i've been injury free despite this week having seen me put in some very concentrated climbing. Between 7.30pm on Thursday and 2pm on Friday, I climbed 8,600', with most of this climbing done as a run (I ran all 8 railway reps on Thursday night and ran most of the Sedbergh Hills route on Friday). I felt a little heavy legged on Saturday but nothing more. This is a sign that I can pick things up.

After the three peaks this coming Sunday, that's what I'll do. I'd like to take the coming week as a step back week, with a few days rest leading up to Sunday's race. Unlike other years, the 3Ps is not a target race, but confidence is a powerful ally and a good run there will really stoke me up for the tough weeks to come. If I can get near or even under 4 hours for the 3Ps I'll be delighted.

After this week, it's going to be really tough, so I look forward to knocking out 15,000' a week from now until the middle of June. In the meantine, I'll have an easier week and eagerly anticipate one of my favourite races.

This week's summary....

Monday - rest

Tuesday - RC session, 4 * 1km on triangle with steep climb/descent on side of Maiden Castle - felt good and ran well. Held off Andrew which is quite some going (esp as he ran 3.06 at weekend in London!). @1000', 7M

Weds - club committee meeting so could only squeeze in a quick 3M road run, but ran fast and felt quite fresh

Thurs - 8 railways, and incredibly, i ran all the way all 8 times. It was mentally quite tough, but each climb took about 5 mins and although it was barely a run, it was a run nonetheless. Ran for 40 mins afterwards to cool down. 2600' ascent, 8 miles

Fri - Sedbergh Hills race route - 16M 6000'. Trotted round without ever pushing it and felt great. 3hrs 30mins of really enjoyable running. Climbed very well and ran every step up both the big climbs (i.e. Arant Haw and up to the Calf from CP4). Felt fantastic, esp in second half. Only 30 mins slower than when i raced it flat out last August in similar conditions (cool, light wind, misty) which given the easy effort level i applied says plenty about my fitness and gives me a lot of confidence, esp as that was one of my better races.

Sat - In Nottingham

Sun - 8M, 1000' - very very very gentle walk with parents in Derbyshire. Not really sure whether it should count! It is said by many that a day's hillwalking is good training for the BGR but this is pushing it a bit! Needless to say, very easy indeed.

Weekly summary - 10,600' ascent, 42 miles

No comments: