Monday 16 April 2007

w/c 9th April – Yeah, but no, but yeah, but...

Someone I haven't seen for a while asked me at Llantysilio how i was doing in preparing for the BGR. He meant, 'how is the training going?' or 'how fit are you?' I'm sure, but the poor sod tapped into a bit of a psycho-analysis of how upping the training seems to sap your ability to enjoy other things. I’m enjoying it all, but I do feel really flat and listless between runs.

Someone else collared me after the race when i was knackered and asked, "So Mark, BG training going well?" Puffing and panting, all i could come up with was, "Yeah, but no, but yeah..." Vicky Pollard would have been proud.

All this is starting to make me worry that the BGR training is taking its toll – not so much on my body (which seems to holding up well, touch wood) but on everything else. I’ve not been myself recently, but wouldn’t go as far as saying that I feel ‘down’ or anything – it’s a strange feeling that I’ve not encountered before. I’ve been a bit weary during marathon training before, but this is different.

I think more fun is required.

There are plenty of good things to report this week on the running front. I’m climbing well, getting stronger and the endurance is coming along nicely.

Monday – 4M, 1250’ ascent – Simple run from Cilcain up MF and down the CH route – felt really good. Up in 23 mins, didn’t push too hard

Tuesday – 6M, 1450’ ascent – Club session involving 3 railway climbs and some quick descending on Bulkeley Hill and from Peckforton Gap. Ran well up the railway which seemed to get easier each time. Ran all the way up on the third climb and felt great.

Weds – 7.5M, 700’ ascent – Run around Marford quarry and Gresford and felt a bit slow. Much of this was on the road.

Thurs – 6.5M, 800’ ascent – Club session with Dave – various reps. Felt slow to start with and seemed to rally later on. Perhaps I didn’t get any more tired rather than felt fresher? Either way, I ran ok but was happy to stop at the end!

Friday – 5.5M, 1530’ ascent – Ran Llangynhafal Loop route, measured it for Martin (who I saw en route!) with the GPS. Again, felt slow but steady.

Saturday – 11M, @4000’ ascent. Llantysilio. Marked the course with John Lindley early doors and then ran the race in very hot and windless conditions. It was stifling up there but I had a great race. I wasn’t at my best, but happy with 1.02 and 16th place. Pretty good with tired legs.

Sunday – 5M (inc warm up), hilly – Border League 6, Deeside. A bit farcical as no-one knew how far it was – the race was 4.3M and many of us were ready for 5.5M or 10k. Felt tired from the off but happy enough to finish 82nd and average 6.30 pace on a hilly course.

Weekly summary – 43.5 miles, @10,000’ ascent

This coming week I’ll work hard, but will take the weekend off. I might even go out with my old schoolmates in Nottingham and have several too many beers – now that sounds like fun.

No comments: