Monday 9 April 2007

w/c 2nd April - Inconveniences and obligations

If the glass were half empty, then this week's training could be summarised by simply stating that it was a so-so period with just about enough climbing (9000') mixed in with a some quality and some rest. Such a summary would also come accompanied by a recommendation to get more climbing in, including some big climbs.

If the glass were half full, a description of this week would all be all about life throwing several reasons not to train at me that were somehow overcome, with each session representing some kind of well-seized opportunity to escape all manner of inconveniences and obligations.

The truth, as ever with these things, lies somewhere between the two, and so I finish this week thankful that I got a half-decent week in, mindful that I need to step it up from here and grateful that things at home and at work are managing to co-exist with training for the BGR - just about...

This week's training has been made all the more diffcult for not having access to my car, which is stuck in Stockport awaiting an expensive repair. This has meant sharing Alison's car, and so it's not been possible to get out to Moel Famau after work and get some mid-week climbing in. We've also had A's parents here helping us work on the house (which really needed it) so getting out over Easter was always going to be tricky.

Knowing all this on Monday, I was not hopeful for the coming week's training and the glass was decidedly half-empty looking.

Monday - rest - bloody car. Gorgeous day and I had to get out to the Peak District and get the thing recovered. All those hills and I'm stood around like a lemon waiting for the AA man.

Tuesday - RC session. Brown Knoll, Duckington, Maiden Castle, Kitty Stone, Bickerton, back along the road to the sandy car park, short fast reps, back to BK over the hills. 7 miles and about 800' ascent.

Weds - Spring 5 road race - couldn't get out to hills as was reliant on A's car, and she wanted to do this. I ran OK but heart was never in it. 31.40 - not quite a pb, but i didn;t give it everything. Encouraging fast last mile and a decent time for a half-hearted run on tired legs, but I couldn't help selfishly thinking about the climbing I could have been doing!

Thurs - 7 * railway reps, straight up and down. 700 metres of climbing, which is @2300'. Felt great, and bizarrely, ran further up the railway each time before walking. Much to my amazement, I ran all the way up on the 7th ascent, although it was a very slow run. I would have done more, but it got dark. The railway is an excellent way of cramming lots of steep climbing (and decending!) into a short space of time. I will use it more. Next time I'll do 8...

The crucial point here was that I went off on my own, away from the group, and did what I needed to do. As the BGR approaches, I will have to do this more and more. Consequently, I'm going to step away from taking the Tuesday sessions for a time. It is a little selfish, but I need to concentrate on getting my legs really attuned to steep climbing and I must not inflict that sort of training on those that will not benefit from it. I'm sure the club will share the load out and keep Tuesdays going.

Fri - A's folks here and so it was a day for decorating. It was a stunning day, and it was hard to keep looking out of the window! I had resigned myself to not getting out, esp as A's parents were working so hard on, well, everything! However, we reached a point in the early evening where we couldn't progress until the paint had dried so rather than just watch it, I threw some studs in my bag and shot off to MF for a quick hour's run. I felt guilty all the way there in the car, but as soon as I got out and ran it was a blessed relief. Work and home (and automobile) have all been stressful this week and boy did I need this run.

I ran up Moel Famau direct from Cilcain and felt very powerful - bounding up the really steep steps halfway up. I met another runner up there who was new to these parts. He wanted to get back to Cilcain so i showed him the nicer descent via the Clywdian Hills route - so that was my good deed for the day. All in, about 4 miles and 1200' ascent.

I wore the mudclaw O330's and they were really uncomfortable. It seems the hard packed stuff 'pushes' the studs back up into your feet and i got a nasty bruise on the underside.

Sat - no running, loads of housey stuff to do. Living room looks great now!

Sun - Long run, 14M and 5000' in just over three hours on Clwydian Hills. Started in bottom car park and ran straight up, descended towards top car park and picked up Hotfoot route down and up to the hill fort (ran all the way up that bugger) and then down and up the gully (walked small stretch of that) before visiting the summit again. Then dropped down on bridleway to Clwyd side and ran along the bottom to Llangynhafal and climbed back up the ridge from there. Back along the ridge (saw Steve Bellis plus lost lamb!) and followed Clwydian Hill route down that lovely decent and then back up the grooved path to the ridge. Ascended MF again (saw Steve again!) and then dropped back to car.

Was back home for 12, which was useful as got loads of housey stuff done in the pm.

Wore Swoops (very comfy). Also took new Foretrex GPS. Tried marking the summit of MF with the GPS and getting it to 'take' me back there later. It worked well and I look forward to getting Paul to give me a masterclass (oh, and all of his BGR summits and landmarks data!).

So in the end, I got a good week in despite not having my car and having to get shed loads done in the house. No complaints, but I do need to try and get more done as the weeks progress.

Week summary - 9300', 38 miles

No comments: